Database migration is extremely simple, supposing the database is applied as storage. It “only” needs to transfer your data from one database to another one. Nevertheless, even this could be a complicated job. The primary issues you can encounter include:
– Unmatched data types (numbers, dates, etc)
– Specific keywords in the destination database management system
– Different character sets (encoding)
– Damaged data sources may prevent automated migration
Various data types can be treated easily by approximating the nearest type from the target database to keep up data integrity. When a source database supports advanced data formats (e.g. sub-record), however, the target database doesn’t, amending the applications with the database is important. Likewise, in the event, the source database supports different encoding in every column for a specific table yet the target database doesn’t, the programs using the database must be thoroughly evaluated.
Any time a database is employed not just for as data storage, as well as to represent business logic as stored procedures and triggers, close attention has to be paid when conducting a feasibility study in the migration to focus on the database. Even again, when the target database doesn’t support any of the features, changes ought to be applied by applications or by middleware software.
This technique is hardly automated since it needs semantic analysis and deep reverse engineering. One approach to improve such duties is to apply any outsourced database migration services. One of these services is provided by Intelligent Converters, a firm devoted to database migration and synchronization since 2001.
Specialists of Intelligent Converters have extensive skills in database conversion, migration and synchronization that allows their customers to get high-quality service at very affordable price. They work with all popular DBMSs such as PostgreSQL, MySQL, Oracle, Microsoft SQL, MS Access, IBM DB2, SQLite and Firebird. Also, some of SAAS database management systems like Amazon Web Services, Azure SQL and Google Cloud Platform are supported. The company offers services and products for numerous customers worldwide including some of the world’s largest companies and institutions as well as small startups and individuals.
This is just a few examples of database migration project carried out by Intelligent Converters:
– Extract data form corrupted Oracle dump file into comma separate values (CSV) format
– Design and implementation of heterogeneous table structure representation in accordance with Microsoft SQL DACPAC format with export/import from/to preferred DBMS
– Migration of huge scale enterprise databases with many views, triggers, stored procedures and functions
– Complete turn-key database migration from Microsoft Access to MySQL + PHP. All forms and reports have been converted into PHP driven web pages looking close to the original
For more information on database migration service offered by Intelligent Converters visit the official site.